WRMS Design Committee
About the Design Committee
The Design Committee performs a key role in shaping the physical image and character of the district as a destination that is attractive to the community, business owners, and visitors. The committee is dedicated to district's development and future growth, by encouraging quality improvements to private properties and public spaces with a common theme of safe mobility, beautification, unification and activation of the streetscape.
Design Committee Goals
Long Term Goals
1. Develop a Streetscape Vision for the District. Stay abreast of latest developments, community input, and be a key participant in developing the vision. Develop perspective renderings of the community vision put forward in Imagine West Roxbury (2016) and communicate that vision to the public. Support research to redesign Centre street with an emphasis on smart growth, pedestrian and bicyclist safety, and vibrant public spaces. Engage with local businesses to gain support for initiatives that increase foot traffic, outdoor seating, and mobility options.
2. Develop Art in the District. Stay abreast of latest developments, community input, and be a key participant in bringing Art to the district such as art installations, sculptures, murals, painted benches, etc. Coordinate with the City of Boston departments, elected officials, and community groups to build support and resources.
3. Improve wayfinding. Add signage to direct visitors to public parking. Improve connections and signage between Centre Street and commuter rail stations.Renovate and repurpose kiosk with consideration of how it integrates into the future design of Tim White Way (Path next to Post Office).
Short Term Goals
1. Identify placement for Parklets and Outdoor Seating. Coordinate with the City of Boston and West Roxbury business community to install at least one Parklet in the district.
2. Develop Walking Tour. Research history of buildings, give a tour, increase signage and plaques for historic buildings and locations.
3. Storefront Signage. Establish strategy/guidelines to help businesses retain and refurbish signs, support character of existing signs.
Design Committee Chair: Howard Traub
Meeting Frequency: Typically the last Tuesday of the month from 6:30pm-8pm at the WRMS Office. See the community calendar for most up to date schedule.